Is there anything more exciting than the sound of a roulette ball swirling on the wheel? Roulette has been an essential part of every casino for centuries and is one of the games that flourished with the rise of online casino sites thanks to numerous variations supported by top online casino sites. And just like you can play roulette online for real money in Ireland, playing roulette is no different. Whether it’s a luxurious casino in Monte Carlo, your local neighborhood venue, or an popular online casino – roulette is a game that is as charming as ever.
Even people who have never stepped foot in a casino have some basic understanding of what roulette is all about. Still, if you want to expand your knowledge on this casino stable, you better be ready to spend some time learning about the rules.
What is Roulette?
Roulette is an exciting game played on a special table, and with special equipment. The table with the table printed on it is the place where you place a bet. There are also a special wheel and a ball, that are both handled exclusively by the croupier – the person in charge of the game and operating the wheel. The wheel has numbers from 0 to 36 (there are also some variations, but more on that later), and are written on red and black fields. The field with the zero is in green.
After all bets are placed, the croupier will spin the wheel in one direction, and the ball in the opposite and drop the ball. When the ball settles, the croupier will announce the winning number and the winning color. The anticipation of when the ball will settle is what makes this game so exciting and fun.
There are several possible ways to bet in every roulette, no matter the variation:
- You can bet on a single number or a group of numbers
- You can bet on colors, red or black
- You can bet on odd and even numbers
- You can bet on high numbers and low numbers. Low numbers are from 1 to 18, and high numbers from 19-36
Every type of bet has a special name. To leave an impression, use the following terminology:
- Straight bet – a bet that is placed on a single number
- Split bet – a bet placed on two numbers which are adjacent on the table
- Street bet – a bet placed on three consecutive numbers on the line
- Six line – a bet on two adjacent lines
- Corner bet – a bet on four numbers. The chips must be placed on the common corner of four numbers.
- Trio bet – a bet on three numbers, including one or both zeros
- Basket bet – a bet on 1, 2, 3 and 0 (and 00 in American variation of the game)
So, here is what a game of roulette looks like! First, you find an available seat at the table and place your bet by putting chips on the appropriate place on the table. After a few moments, the croupier will announce that all bets are closed. The croupier (or another employee of the casino) is the only person that is allowed to move and touch chips once they are within the chart, so be precise and quick. Don’t ever touch chips placed by others. After the croupier spins the wheel and announces the winner, the chips will be handed over to the winner.
Roulette has many variations, but here are the top 3 ones!
French roulette is “mother of all roulette variations”, and some enthusiasts refer to it as “the only real roulette”. In this type of popular game, players can bet on color (rouge and noir), odd and even numbers (pair and unpair), and high and low numbers (manqué and passé). The rule of thumb is that every player should know the French roulette terminology in both French and English as some casinos prefer one language over another.
The French roulette table has an interesting table – numbers are written in the middle, and above them, facing the wheel is the 0. Going down from there, you can place manqué and passé and then pair and unpair, and color. These categories are positioned on each side of the number chart.
French roulette also has two exciting rules:
- En prison – gives the player a second chance after losing an outside bet (manqué and passé, pair and unpair, and noir and rouge), but only if the ball lands on zero
- La partage – the player gets 50% of the outside bet if the ball lands on zero
The most popular type of roulette in Ireland, it has the same type of wheel as French roulette but a different table. The zero is still facing the wheel, followed by a number chart, however, all outside bets must be placed in the chart below the number. The chart has categories as follows: small numbers (1-18), even, red, black, odd, 19-36. There are no special rules such as en prison and la partage, which makes this type of roulette more straightforward. Also, the European roulette provides the highest advantage for the player, around 2.6%.
American roulette is the most volatile one, with a house advantage of around 5%. It originates from the USA, and some believe its hometown is New Orleans, while others believe it comes from Atlantic City where establishments used the 00 as common practice. Whatever the case may be, American roulette is still preferred more in the New World rather than in Europe and Asia.
Roulette wheel in American roulette has one additional field that contains 00, which means there are 38 fields altogether. 0 and 00 are opposite of each other, and the table design is more similar to the European type of roulette.
This variation of roulette has an interesting rule. “Surrender” means that the player can keep half of the bet when the ball lands on either 0 or 00. It is very similar to la partage rule in French roulette.
- Comprehensive Guide to the Board Game Go (weiqi, baduk) - January 23, 2024
- Are Creative Suites Changing Gaming - October 30, 2023
- Immersive Entertainment Redefined: The Magic of Augmented Reality - October 26, 2023