OBJECTIVE OF ROLL YOUR OWN POKER: Win the pot by having the highest ranking hand.
NUMBER OF PLAYERS: 5-7 players
NUMBER OF CARDS: standard 52-card deck
RANK OF CARDS: A (high), K, Q, J, 10, 9, 8, 7, 6, 5, 4, 3, 2
TYPE OF GAME: Poker
HOW TO PLAY ROLL YOUR OWN POKER
Roll Your Own Poker, or Mexican Poker, is style of playing Seven Card Stud. Instead of the dealer dealing some of the cards face-up, they are dealt face-down. Prior to the betting round, players examine their cards and decide which they want to reveal befoe betting commences. The steps are as follows:
- The players place an ante and the dealer deals each active player three cards, all face-down. Players pick which single cards they want to reveal, then they bet.
- Dealer deals another face-down card to each player. Players turn another card in hand face-up.
- The second step is repeated until players have a six card hand. Four cards are face-up and two are face-down. Then there is a fourth round of betting.
- The dealer deals each player their 7th card, face-down. The final round of betting begins then the remaining players move to the showdown. Highest value five card hand wins.
Ways to Reveal Cards:
- Players select their cards and keep it face-down, then players reveal their cards simultaneously. The dealer can signal this, i.e. 1,2,3, FLIP!
- Players take turns revealing their cards.
This variant is played High-Low with declarations (players must declare prior to showdown if they are playing their hand against high hand poker rankings or lowball poker hand rankings.
It is optimally played with 5 to 7 players.
Players are dealt 7 cards from the dealer to start with. Players choose two cards to discard, and one to expose. This leaves the player with a five card poker hand, 1 card exposed and four left secret. After, there is a round of betting, starting with the player whose exposed card is of the highest value.
Once betting is completed players expose another single card from their hand. There are now two exposed cards from their 5 card poker hand. After is a round of betting, with either the highest pair, or if there are no pairs the highest single card, starting the betting. This pattern continues until players have four cards exposed and one in hand. Next is the final betting round.
Players left in the game declare if they are playing their hand high or low. The final card of the hands are revealed and the pot is split between the best high hand and the best low hand. For low hands, use Ace-to-Five lowball hand rankings. You can find poker hand rankings explained in greater detail here.