THE DEAL | SPIT
Shuffle cards and divide them evenly, each player receives 26 cards.
Each player deals out their stockpiles in a row. Each player has five piles, the first pile has 1 card, the second has 2.. and so on. The fifth pile should have five cards. These piles cards may be dealt face-down then flipped or simply dealt face-up. The remaining 11 cards are your spit cards, these must be kept secret, even from yourself!
Outline of stockpiles:
- Play a face-up card from a stockpile onto a spit pile. To do so, the card played must be one up or one below in sequence. Cards ‘turn corner,’ so if an ace is played a King or two can be played next.
- If 1+ of your stockpiles has the top card face-down, turn the top card face-up.
- You may move a face-up card from the top of a stockpile to an empty space. You can not exceed five stockpiles.
Cards count as soon as they are played and may not be retracted.
If players reach an impasse and can no longer play on their spit pile, both shout “spit!”, flip a spit card and place it on top of their spit pile. Play continues if possible, if both players are unable to play, repeat.
In the event there is an impasse and one player is out of spit cards, one player spits alone on only one pile. This is the only pile they can spit on from then on.
A new layout must be dealt when:
- One player gets rid of all the cards in their stockpile
- There is an impasse and both players are out of spit cards but have stockpiles remaining.
If this happens, players will get cards by slapping a spit pile as fast as possible. Strategic players will try to slap the pile with the smaller number of cards. If players try to slap the same pile, the players whose hand is underneath gets the pile, and the other player gets the other pile. Players then add the cards from their stockpiles to the spit pile the grabbed, shuffle, and re-deal a new layout. When both players are ready, they yell “spit!”, and the game continues on.
If one player has less than 15 cards, they will not be able to deal a full set of stockpiles or a spit pile. There will only be one spit pile.
- Some games use only four stockpiles.
- Some versions allow the player who gets rid of all the cards in their layout to choose which spit pile they want, there is no slapping.
- There is also a variation which requires cards played on the spit pile must alternate in colors.